Sunday, December 30, 2012

Simple Cross Earrings

Tutorial





Craft Inspiration
(Instagram: Camila_Cabello)
Hey guys!

So I have to admit, my Wednesday and Thursday nights are a bit more depressing now that The XFactor USA has had it's season finale. And while I was rooting for Carly Rose Sonenclar the whole season, I started to love Fifth Harmony as the weeks went on (I blame my soft spot for pretty harmonies). The second I saw Camila Cabello's cross earrings, I knew I had to have them.

I figured that I could get the same pair at Forever 21 for cheap, but all they had were shorter ones with designs or longer ones with like five crosses hanging down, but I just wanted the simple ones that she had.

So I decided to just make my own pair! And since I'm not a blacksmith, nor could I find a cross pendant exactly how I wanted it, I had to be a little creative and find a way around it.

The total for this project came out to be $15 for the supplies but I had already bought the earring hooks. You can make something like 3 pairs of earrings from the $15 supplies, so each pair of earrings are worth $5 plus the 20 minutes it takes to get a hang of making them.

The supplies you need are:



  • Eye pins (about 2.5 inches)
  • Head pins (about 1.5 inches)
  • Bead stringing wire
  • Earring hooks
  • Hot glue gun (optional)








Step 1: Fasten eye pins (2.5 inches) to earring hooks with the bead stringing wire. 

I probably tied mine three or so times. Just tie it tightly until it feels secure.



Step 2: Put together the head pins (1.5 inches) and place it perpendicular to the eye pins and spaced like a typical cross.



Step 3: Tie the two pairs of pins together with the beading string by criss-crossing the strings over each other and then tying a knot. I found it easiest to do one set of criss crosses and then tie a knot and then repeat the cycle one or two more times, making it harder for the strings to become untied while trying to tie the rest.
(Note: Here's where the optional hot glue gun comes in. You can hot glue gun the ends of the pins together to make them stay in their pairs while you're tying to tie them together. Then once finished you can easily peel off the glue and leave it with the finished product.)








And there you have it! In three simple steps you end up with these! 



I plan on debuting these tomorrow, on New Years! I'm singing at my church's New Year service and they'll go perfect with my outfit.


Well, that's all for now, hope you enjoyed my first craft tutorial for you!

Let me know how yours turned out or if you have any questions in the comments below!

Happy crafting, and happy New Year!
-Micayla

No comments:

Post a Comment