Thursday, February 28, 2013

Confetti Dessert Platter

Tutorial


Hey guys! 

So today's tutorial is inspired by two pins that I found on Pinterest (like every other tutorial.. haha!). The first pin is making a dessert platter out of a plate and a cup, and the second is an Anthropologie knockoff of their confetti tumblers. I didn't mean to put the two crafts together, but it ended up working really well together! I love this one- it might even be my favorite craft so far!

Here are the supplies you'll need:
  • A plate and a glass (My glass was a margarita glass from Goodwill.)
  • Super glue or "Cement"
  • Acrylic paint
  • All purpose sealer or Mod Podge
  • Paint brushes (At least one small brush and one large one.)








Step 1: After washing the two dishes, apply the super glue or cement to the rim of the glass.


Step 2: Press the glass onto the center of the bottom of the plate. 
Make sure that the glass is in the center of the plate. If it's off center you can adjust it, but then some of the glue is on the inside and isn't touched by outside air, and that makes it not dry clear.








Now this was my project after 12 hours. 

Not sure if you can see clearly, but all the glue on the outside of the rim of the glass dried clear, but the glue on the inside of the glass isn't dried very well.

I figured that it wasn't going to dry anytime soon and I'm a bit of an impatient person with somethings, so I decided to find an alternative method to hide the undried glue.











At Michael's I bought five shades of blue acrylic paint and multi-purpose sealer. It only ended up being $7 with a 50% off coupon for one item! The acrylic paint is only $0.69.














Step 3: Using the small paint brush, alternate paint colors and paint dots all over the plate. 


















This is my plate before the seal.
















Step 4: Using the large paint brush, apply the all purpose sealer or Mod Podge over the whole plate.

Let it dry, and then CAREFULLY wash the dish so it can be used.











Here's the final product with the delicious lemon bars I made!

So, that's the tutorial! Leave a comment below if you have any questions about the craft or if you want to share your own version of the craft.

Happy crafting!
-Micayla

No comments:

Post a Comment