Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wire Phrases

Tutorial




Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I spent the rest of my winter break out of town visiting one of my best friends, so I didn't get any crafting done. However we did make this awesome music video/cover to a song! (That's my friend singing/on camera, and I did the directing and filming). You can also check out my channel here. I make lots of music videos. :)

ANYWAYS. When I got back on Sunday afternoon my fellow craft buddy, Bria, made a new craft to share!

The supplies you need are:



  • A hanger
  • String (or yarn)
  • Wire cutters








Step 1: Unwrap the top part of the hanger.


(Optional) Step 2: Cut off the ends with the wire cutter.

I found it was easiest to cut away at the outer plastic and to then bend the scrap wire up and down until it detached itself.

For me, it was easier to just cut off the ends instead of trying to make them straight. It's up to you if the extra length is important enough to you!

Step 3: Create your design. You could do one word, or two words (like I did), it's up to you. But choose something short due to the length of the wire and try to choose easy cursive words. Or if you don't want to do a word at all, you could always do a picture!

I chose "Te amo" because it means "I love you" in spanish and it reminds me of all my friends in Mexico, where I visit often.

To form the wires, I would recommend holding the point that you want to start bending at with a clamp and then bend the wires. This keeps the rest of your design from before in tact. Don't worry about dents and the plastic coming off when bending the wire because you'll wrap it with string later.

Step 4: Start wrapping the string around the wire. I found it was easiest to use clear nail polish at the top to keep the string from moving. It doesn't change the craft's appearance and will save you a headache!





Step 5: Seal off the end with clear nail polish and.. You're done! 

Hope you enjoyed the craft and the tutorial! Comment below and let me know how your project goes or if you need any clarifications. 

Happy crafting!
-Micayla

No comments:

Post a Comment